Home Page

Welcome to the Middlebury Historical Society in Middlebury, Connecticut

The Middlebury Historical Society is located near the Middlebury Green on Library Road in Middlebury, Connecticut, in a building that is on the National Register of Historic Places. The building began as the Center School, a two-room schoolhouse built in 1897, which later housed the Middlebury Public Library from 1935 until 1972. It has been the home of the historical society since 1975. The building is maintained in its original condition, and displayed here are many interesting items significant to Middlebury history in its museum. It also houses a library with Middlebury-related material, and a research center.

The Building was funded in part by the family of John Howard Whittemore and Julia Anna (Spencer) Whittemore. It was designed by A. Milton Napier of the firm of McKim, Mead and White, and the grounds were designed by renowned landscape architect Warren H. Manning.

The picture above is of Fenn’s Pond in Middlebury, with Fenn’s Farm (Brookdale Farm) in the background; Dr. Christopher Parker, photographer.